Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercruiser Alarms

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Join our Boaters Community!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalonzi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Mercruiser Alarms Reply with quote

Spec:
1999 Rinker Fiesta Vee 242 - Alpha Drive
5.7L EFI - 1999 - 280 Hours

I had the engine tuned (new plugs, cap, oil, drive fluid, etc.) last year before storage. The dealer fogged the engine and put Sta-Bil in the gas. We put the boat in the water this weekend - started immediately and ran OK. I checked all fluids prior to starting the engine.

Oil pressure about 40 at idle - 60 at cruise
Engine Temp - climbed to 180 - settled back to 160-175

It ran fine in the marina; once on Lake Michigan throttled up and ran it up to about 4000 RPM for a couple of minutes - all still good. As I throttled back, I got an alarm. pulled into the dock and checked all fluids - the drive reservoir was a little below full - added fluid and let the boat sit for the week.

This weekend - started fine but seemed to run rough - like a minor missfire. Idled till warm, all pressure and temp good. Again at the dock got an alarm. I checked all fluids again - all good. Now at startup I am only getting one BEEP oon the Mercruiser monitor.

Any thougths? i would like to contact the dealer but dont want to be misled! They have been very good so far.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Mercruiser Alpa Drive running issues Reply with quote

Dave,

Well, first you have crossed off all the big things - oil pressure ok; engine internals ok - cooling working; water pump, thermostat working.

My first thought is this - and it is an old adage I learned...
90 percent of all fuel problems are electrical.

Yank your plugs and make sure you are firing clean and equal, examine them - they should look the same (and great, because they are new). Check the wire leads.

When you say "one beep on the Mercruiser monitor" - do you mean it beeps then stops? Or keeps going?

One other thought - if something worked ok before and you did a repair/adjustment; then it runs poorly, well, you always go back to the last thing that was changed/worked on. Sometimes things get jostled, not quite put in right, defective part - humans building parts for human assembled machines operated by humans.

Finally, the fuel 'may' be suspect.

Marine Tech.
dalonzi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty - thanks for the reply to my post. i will take a look at the plugs this weekend.

The "BEEP" is not continuous - it only beeps once and stops.
When I turn IGN on it only beeps twice and stops. I found another forum that suggested replacing an IAT sensor. The other user had the exact same symptoms and replaced this sensor which solved the problem. This is a $32 part that I have ordered from the dealer.

I will post my results next week!

Dave
boatScotty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Mercruiser Alpa Drive running issues Reply with quote

I look forward to hearing your results!

Marine Tech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Join our Boaters Community!!! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: