Forum Index
The Boater's Guide to Information, Education & Scuttlebutt...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Right Prop Size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogscraps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Right Prop Size Reply with quote

Is there a magic formula for determining the correct Prop Size for your boat?
Billy Bud

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try downloading this free propeller calculator:

http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Propeller/propcalc.xls

Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Catalina Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Prop size Reply with quote

Is bigger better? How do I know what is right for my Boat?
Flying J

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: props for boats Reply with quote

i do not know if you are still experimenting with props but when you do get the right size, buy two of them...they are usually aluminum and they get bent easily as my kids have demonstarted on more than one occasion
Monahans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J,
Before you can tell exactly what prop you need, you should have a tachometer. Find out what you're recommended WOT (wide open throttle) rpms are. Find out what size prop you have now and adjust accordingly. You'll want to run your motor at those required RPM's. This will maximize your engine's potential and performance! If you don't have a tach you may want to consider adding one. I'm sure GO2marine has several in stock. Lastly, there are several excellent prop MFR's out there as well as OEM.
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: correct prop size for your boat Reply with quote

Great information from Monahans! One thing to keep in mind is this, every inch of pitch you add in prop size will reduce engine rpm's by 200. Every inch of pitch you take out will increase engine rpm's by 200. This will increase the quickness or hole shot ability of your boat. Better for skiing but you may lose a bit of top end.
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: magic formula for determining the correct Prop Size for your Reply with quote

Hello Frogscraps, Michigan Propeller has a very helpful web site. You can download their Propeller cross reference/application guide.
Click here:http://www.miwheel.com/MIWheel/pdf/obsd_03.pdf
It may take a minute or two to load.
desfrutandoavida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having trouble deciding if it is worth the $400+ to step up to a stainless steel prop (from the stock aluminum). I will be doing a fair amount of skiing/wakeboarding/other misc. towables this summer, so a stronger "hole shot" is certainly appealing.

I am a first time boat owner and am still in shock as to how much everything costs. Shocked Not complaining, though. I LOVE owning a boat!!
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Stainless vs. Aluminum Reply with quote

Hello desfrutandoavida, if you are having problems dinging your Propeller you may want to go to Stainless. If you are just looking for more torque and a better whole shot I would go with a 4-Blade Aluminum Propeller. They sell on average for $130.00 to $150.00. If you would like to look into this, Give Go2marine a call. They carry a full line propellers. High Speed Propellers

Propeller Finder
http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/mfr/michiganwheel/prop.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Props All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: